I really can't get enough of the mouth-watering scallion pancakes that my wife had prepared for me during this MCO period. Of course the glorious Italian food that she dished out was amazing as well...but these relatively healthy scallion pancakes really take cake (no pun intended). Our whole family including our kids truly enjoy eating these spring onion pancakes which are also known as 'Cong You Bing' (葱油饼). Why? Perhaps they remind us so much of our beloved roti canai.
Scallion Pancakes are healthy, crispy and yummy!
First and foremost, this easy-to-make Chinese scallion pancake recipe does not really require a lot of ingredients. With some flour, salt and of course the secret ingredient-green onion scallion, your pancakes will be ready in no time. It is so easy to make that even kids can actually join to make them. That was why Jordan and Jasmine were roped in to "create" their very own scallion pancakes. With the guidance from beloved mother, this Taiwanese spring onion pancake is fun to be made. 😜 So are you ready to make some scallion pancakes?
Scallion Pancakes Recipe Ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- Scallion (aka green onion)
- Oil (Preferably Sunflower Oil with Omega 3 and Omega 6 so that the pancakes will be healthier. 😂
Prepare the dough for your scallion pancakes first 😀
Instructions: How To Make Scallion Pancakes
- First and foremost, sift the flour into a bowl and add salt. Mix these 2 ingredients well.
- Knead the dough of flour and salt until it becomes soft, smooth and non-sticky.
- Divide the dough into smaller dough balls whereby each will be made into 1 single pancake.
- Then on a floured surface, with a rolling pin start rolling your dough ball until it is thin like a disc.
- Make a few partial cuts across the dough so that they add to texture and of course make coiling up the pancake easier.
- Scatter some chopped scallions onto the flattened dough.
- Now roll the dough into a cylinder.
- Coil the dough like a snail and it is ready to get into a frying pan!
- Add a layer of oil (5mm) and start frying your scallion pancake.
- Shallow fry each side to golden crisp and flip it to do the same for the other side.
Mommy is teaching both Jordan and Jasmine how to make scallion pancakes
Roll your dough until it is thin
Make partial cuts to add texture to the pancake
Scatter your scallion onto the flattened dough
Roll your dough into a cylinder
Coil the cylindrical dough into a "snail"
We are ready to fry our scallion pancakes
Watch how you can make Scallion Pancakes easily
DIPPING SAUCE FOR SCALLION PANCAKE?
And voila your healthy scallion pancake is ready to be served! You will be asking, "What shall we eat with our scallion pancakes?" You need a dipping sauce for sure and to be honest any sauce will do just fine depending on your preference. As for us, we have always savored my wife's distinctive, lip smacking chicken curry together with the crispy, golden scallion pancakes. The two of them really complement each other and make a delectable combo. OMG! The thought of dipping the pancakes into the tantalizing curry is really making me hungry.
Scallion pancakes are best served with delicious chicken curry
PREPARATION TIMEFor the record, preparation time was about 30 minutes while cooking took another 10 minutes. So you need around 40 minutes to make these scrumptious scallion pancakes. Obviously both my children enjoyed helping their mother in the kitchen with the pancakes. Of course they slowed their mother down, but the sight of them happily rolling the dough and coiling their own pancakes really made her happy. So if you want to bond with your children, making scallion pancakes together sounds like a good idea. LOL 😁
I am drooling already with its crispiness 🤤
Some of you must be wondering-how many calories does each of this pancake contain? Well...depending on portion, each serving this scallion pancake packs around 170-200 calories. OK~calories counting aside, I really wish that my wife could make me a few of these heavenly scallion pancakes and the luscious chicken curry every other weekend. *hint hint* Heck! Even my children have said that they are finger(s) licking good! Hopefully you will find this easy-to-make scallion pancake recipe useful and yummy.